Sacred Heart Parish is a congregation of the Roman Catholic tradition in the Diocese of Madison, WI. We are located in Reedsburg, Wisconsin, a city of approximately 9000 people in Sauk County.
Sacred Heart Parish was originally organized on July 19, 1878. The first Catholic church in Reedsburg was a frame structure on the corner of Fourth and Locust Streets. This building burned down on February 28, 1902. A second church built of brick was dedicated on May 6, 1903. Longtime pastor, Fr. Eugene Kiernan, first arrived in Reedsburg as pastor in 1911. A school was built on Oak Street and opened for use in September of 1955. The third and current church was built near the school on Willow Street to accommodate the growing congregation. It is fan-shaped and seats approximately 450. It is constructed of Minnesota limestone, wood and faceted glass. This church was first used on June 29, 1969 and was dedicated by Bishop Cletus F. O’Donnell on October 26 of that year.
The 1969 church on North Willow Street is the one still currently being used for all liturgies. The parish now serves approximately 950 families. What had been the priest’s rectory has been converted into offices for the staff, and what had been the convent for the sisters has been converted into the Mazzuchelli Center, which houses our Daycare, Pre-Kindergarten, and Kindergarten. An addition was added to the church was added in 2019. Our Lady of Refuge Chapel was dedicated in October, 2019 by Bishop Donald Hying.