History of Sacred Heart School
Sacred Heart Catholic School was established in 1955 under the leadership of Father Kiernan and a dedicated group of parish members. Father Kiernan, who was the pastor here at Sacred Heart for over fifty years, along with the first building committee made up of parishioners first met in 1940 with a dream of building a Catholic School in Reedsburg. Their dream continued strong until 1955 when Sacred Heart Catholic School opened on September 7 of that year.
A promise was given by the Dominican Order to staff our school with sisters. When the school opened, there were four sisters that taught a combined 174 students. The sisters resided in the nearby convent.
Many changes have occurred since that first year. All eight classrooms are used for grades one through eight. The Dominican Sisters have been replaced over the years by lay teachers. The convent has been renamed the Mazzuchelli Center to honor Father Samuel Mazzuchelli. He was the founder of the Sinsinawa Dominican Order of the Most Holy Rosary. This building has been renovated into our daycare, preschool, and kindergarten area. Sacred Heart Catholic School also has a partnership with the Reedsburg Public School District since 2011 which offers a shared space for the public 4-year old kindergarten program to be held. This program is also offered in the Mazzuchelli Center in the afternoons with a public school teacher. This is program is in addition to our own faith-based pre-kindergarten program which is offered in the morning.
Since the opening of Sacred Heart Catholic School, the priests of our parish have shown a great deal of interest and support for the school. They have celebrated weekly liturgies with the children, have worked with the students on sacramental preparation, and have attended various events and programs at the school.
From the very beginning, parental cooperation and interest have been remarkable, as well. Because they had worked so long and hard for the school building itself, parents were more than interested in developing excellent programs for the children. Parishioners whose families have grown up here at Sacred Heart Catholic School continue to give generously so that our school may continue to be a vital source of life in our parish and in the Reedsburg community.
In 2015, Sacred Heart Catholic School celebrated its 60th anniversary. Invitations were sent out, messages were posted on social media in an attempt to get as many alumni to come back and revisit the school. The anniversary celebration was held on November 22, 2015 with Bishop Robert Morlino presiding at the 10:30 a.m. liturgy that Sunday. An open house and reception were held at the school following the mass.
The Sacred Heart Catholic School staff is made up of several individuals who are engaging, enthusiastic, and creative. They provide examples of Catholic values through their interactions with each other, with the students and with the parents of our school. There are nine full-time teachers, three part-time teachers and three teacher assistants.